Did you know National Grandparents Day has been an official holiday since 1978? We didn’t either! This year it takes place on Sunday, September 11. The holiday is designed to honor grandparents for their strength, guidance and wisdom. It was declared by President Jimmy Carter.
At BAVETTE Bibs, we believe the most valuable thing you can do for someone, especially an older loved one, is to share your time. Here are 16 meaningful (and affordable) ways to celebrate Grandparents Day.
- Design a handmade card with a favorite photo of your grandparent.
- Make a video of your precious memories with your grandparent and watch it together.
- Spend time in the kitchen making a family recipe together.
- Go for a walk holding hands in the park. If walking is an issue, go for a nice drive along a scenic route.
- Dry and press your grandmother’s favorite flowers and design a framed collage together.
- Work on a puzzle together.
- Volunteer together.
- Spend time reminiscing through a family photo album.
- Videotape your grandparents sharing favorite stories of their life. You’ll capture memories forever.
- Give your grandma a manicure or pedicure.
- Give your grandparent a foot massage or gentle head massage.
- Watch their favorite movie together and make popcorn.
- Belt out songs as you listen to favorite tunes together.
- Read your grandparent an interesting short story or explore a favorite topic together.
- Plant fall bulbs together to enjoy next spring.
- Help your grandparent paint or fix something in the house that’s broken.
Above all, share time with your grandparent. It’s the best way to honor an older loved one. And both of you benefit from building traditions and lifelong memories.
Tell us your favorite ways to celebrate National Grandparents Day!